Pre-season disaster planning.
Prior to hurricane season, policyholders in eligible locales can request a home consultation with a Private Client Group hurricane mitigation specialist. Each consultation will include, but is not limited to, the following discussion points:
- Developing a formal plan that can serve as an outline for execution
- Establishing emergency contact numbers and obtaining authorization to access properties
- Installing shutter systems
- Protecting and/or relocating valuable items to higher levels or self-contained storage areas
- Relocating vehicles or placing them on lifts
- Moving drapes and window treatments away from openings
- Locking down doors and windows
- Stabilizing vegetation and trees
- Securing and protecting outdoor art
- Removing outdoor items, such as furniture, that could become airborne
- Creating maintenance programs for window caulking, threshold inspections, seals around doors, roofing, tree trimming, drain systems and back-up generator systems
We closely track the progress and projected landfall of approaching hurricanes. After landfall, our response units go directly to insured residences in the affected areas to assess exterior damage. If there is visible structural damage, our approved vendors immediately respond to make short-term repairs such as tarping holes in the roof, and boarding breached doors, windows and other openings.
Simultaneously, Private Client Group communicates with policyholders who have evacuated to apprise them of any sustained damage. Claims staff will follow up with more detailed assessments as needed. Our art collection management professionals may also be engaged to safely remove and transport pieces.